Do you ever feel uncomfortable how a stranger from nowhere can have access to your photos, work life, lifestyle and your lifestyle choices? With the increasing amount of information we log in the net, the idea of privacy has become a myth that used to exist. Truth be told, everyone wants to be famous. Even I, at some point in my life looked forward to be famous. When a bunch of people observe you in social media and tell you how beautiful you are, you ought to feel special. A lot of teenage girls feel that the world will notice them at one point of time. This is how the start uploading pictures of themselves and the various locations they go to. The added pressure of showing that we have a functioning social life, we tend to add location along with the mere proof of how busy our lives are. Even the ads we see are cached by our browser. Even the movie you are going to watch next Friday is recognized by Google. The dress you buy, what size you are, and the place you’re going this summer, all are known by what you log in your phone on a daily basis. In a way, you are not controlling your social media accounts. Instagram and Facebook are controlling you. If you want to be away from mass surveillance, here are a few pointers which will enlighten your path to becoming invisible.
- Build a firewall: If your Personal computer is connected to a broadband, it is difficult to protect your IP address. Wherever you log in, your IP address will be visible to the hackers. They are repeatedly looking for viable options for systems to crash. Having a router at home will mitigate the problem of networking issues with a built in firewall system.
- Get away from smartphones: This may sound a bit too harsh. However, you will need a phone which will not require an email ID or a legit name for logging in. The ancient throwaway prepaid phones which are perfect for calling and texting will do the job just fine. The phone will also let you live a life away from constant distractions.
- Cautious while browsing: Make sure your web browser does have the suitable options to protect your privacy. Never save passwords while surfing web which is connected to a public Wi-Fi. You never know what the hackers might store. The physical location and the language you speak can be deemed inaccessible via the controls in the settings.
- Clear history: Many people clear history to clear RAM and disk space. However, clearing up browser history also wipes clean of all the locations, passwords, cached data, bank details, names and other information which you have put in. this will also prevent the advertisers from getting a sneak peek to your preferences.
- Proxy server: To make sure notorious hackers do not get to know your location, you can set up a proxy server or a virtual private network connection. You will not only be anonymous, but also surf websites as if you are the citizen of a different country.