Being a 90s kid, I did not have a mobile phone, let alone a smartphone while growing up. Luckily for me, there was no any social media during my schooldays. However now, for most teens and adults alike, social media addiction is a growing issue (and I include myself in this list). Especially before the exams, it gets really difficult to put the phone down and try to concentrate on our studies. So during my last semester exam, I decide to change that and get this addiction kicked out.
- The first step is always the hardest. Stop justifying your actions. Living in denial helps no one, so yes if you just procrastinated for 2 hours on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat or any other social media, you are obviously addicted and need to stop. Before the exams, or if you’re approaching any sort of deadline, the only thing you need to do is to focus on your study or work, instead of sharing memes or posting selfies.
- On a less serious note, it is obviously not possible to keep studying or working continuously, so instead of checking your phone to take a break, find alternative ways. Walking around the house, listening to music or having a little snack were some ways I found really helpful.
- Meditation: No matter how cliché this sounds, meditating every morning just for 5-10 minutes, improves your concentration level to a great extent. It helps calm the mind which in turn helps to do away with your addiction.
- Different free apps like Forest, StepLock, Onward to name a few, create different challenges and tasks to help stay away from our smartphones. The sense of reward after successfully completing the tasks is motivation enough to try these, I believe. (Available in both iOS and Android app stores)
- Lastly, if you already are on your phone, might as well use it productively. YouTube has a lot of video lectures pertaining to every field of study. Also, if you have any questions, Google has all the answers. Moreover WhatsApp is a great platform to share notes, eBooks and discussing doubts with friends. (However texting your crush or bae is not gonna be helpful during exam time!)
By practicing a little self-control and mindfulness, I think it is really easy to check your social media usage before the exams. Moreover it helps in increasing your concentration, so basically a win-win situation. Be determined, it is only a matter of two to three weeks, after that it’s time to partay!