WhatsApp messaging app, earlier this year said that it is going to stop its support of outdated smartphones. It had said that WhatsApp will stop running on the earliest smartphones which include iPhone, Windows Phone, Nokia, Android and BlackBerry.
After some time it was decided that it will be extending its support for BlackBerry 10, BlackBerry OS, Nokia Symbian and Nokia S40 until the end of June next year.
Yet lot of devices are scheduled to lose support for WhatsApp after this December. However most of you do not have to worry as the specifications taken into consideration means it won’t affect a lot of users, specially on the two most used platforms: iOS and Android.
For Android, the support for WhatsApp will end for devices still running on Froyo or Gingerbread, i.e. Android v2.1 or v2.2 while for Windows it will the devices still running on Windows Phone 7 OS. On iOS, Apple devices running on iOS 6 and iPhone 3GS which never got the iOS 7 update will lose WhatsApp support after December 2016.
Read More: Apple Music now 50% cheaper at Rs 60/month.
Devices running on BlackBerry 10, Nokia S40, Symbian S60 and BBOS still have a chance and extra life till June next year.
The reason quoted by WhatsApp in its blog is that the smartphones do not “offer the kind of capabilities” need by it to expand the features of the app.
However this decision won’t affect much users as according to Google’s distribution chart only 1.4% of devices are collectively running on Froyo and Gingerbread. For Apple 90% of devices now run on iOS 7 thus leaving a small 10% of users who will need to upgrade their phones to use WhatsApp after this December.
So are you one of those unlucky users who still use an outdated smartphone? Let us know in the comments below.
Read Next: How to delete all your old Facebook posts