1. Kitkat Lock Kit
2. Lollipop Lock Kit
3. Compatible Kitkat Stock Firmware (for this tutorial)
4. Latest Kitkat Stock Firmware (to be used after reverting back to the compatible firmware)
5. Compatible Lollipop Stock Firmware (for this tutorial)
6. Latest Lollipop Stock Firmware (to be used after reverting back to the compatible firmware)
7. Fastboot files
Okay so in this tutorial we will learn how to revert back to stock ROM for those people who updated to CM12.1 and faced issues or didn’t like it at all. This will help you revert back to either Kitkat Stock Firmware and Lollipop Stock Firmware. Not the latest one. For Kitkat you get 220.127.116.11 and for Lollipop you get 18.104.22.168. Ofcourse after you have reverted back to stock you can update to the latest Kitkat or Lollipop firmware linked above and the update process mentioned at the end of this post.
Okay moving on.. First you need to re-lock your boot loader and get the appropriate recovery. Download the toolkit and the compatible firmware files depending on whether Kitkat or Lollipop you want to revert to.
Extract the lock kit files and copy them to the Fastboot folder (download it from above you still don’t have it). Copy the firmware file to the fastboot folder too. Now its time to connect your Zenfone 5 to your Windows PC with USB Debugging enabled.
Follow these important steps now with exact sequence and caution and you are doing this at your own risk. Comment below if you face issues or post them on the Facebook Page.
1. Extract the fastboot.img file from the firmware you are using and copy it to the fastboot folder
2. Press Ctrl+Shift +Right Click in the fastboot folder and select Open Command Window Here and in the cmd window type out the following command and hit enter to reboot into bootloader
3.. Flash the fastboot file you extracted :
and then reboot your bootloader using
4. Once in fastboot we need to flash the appropriate recovery, type
5. Its time to re-lock your bootloader. flash the files using the commands below.
and when that is done, then…
6. Now that your boot-loader is relocked (yes you can get OTA updates) we will quickly erase all the user data and cache just to have a clean and fresh install. Use the commands below
7. Now we will quickly reboot into the recovery to sideload the firmware.
JUST IN CASE IT DOESN’T OPEN UP RECOVERY, REMOVE USB CABLE, PRESS AND HOLD VOLUME UP+POWER AND BOOT INTO BOOTLOADER. THEN FLASH THE RECOVERY AGAIN FROM 4 AND TRY STEP 7 AGAIN.
IF YOU SEE NO ITEMS ON SCREEN AFTER YOU BOOT INTO RECOVERY PRESS AND HOLD VOLUME UP+VOLUME DOWN FOR A FEW SECONDS.
7. When there scroll down to ADB SIDELOADING and select it and then type out the command bellow in your PC to sideload the stock firmware.
If you face “no device error” during this stage please click here to fix that!
Wait for it to flash and reboot normally and you should have your stock ROM back.
To update to the latest firmware, download the firmware zip file place it in the internal storage ( not inside any folder). Do not un-zip the file. Then reboot your phone and your phone should ask for you to update it automatically. If it doesn’t just manually check for updates and it should prompt you to update.
Still have questions? Ask below or in the Facebook Page.